Like roasted potatoes?This spicy and crispy Cajun roasted potatoes are so easy to make that you can add them to your gluten free and vegan party appetisers or side dish list right away!
After the amazing response that you all gave on my vegetarian starters – vegan and gluten free spinach quinoa patties and cheese stuffed mushrooms, here’s another vegetarian appetiser – Cajun roasted potatoes joining the list! Like I was saying in my previous post, I am trying to up my vegetarian party appetiser game and have been experimenting a lot with new appetiser recipes. I love baked appetisers and always on a lookout for recipes that can be made in batches and are crowd pleasers. This one here is one such gem!
Can I confess I have never been a potato fan! You might say whattttttt! Who on this earth doesn’t like potatoes? So let me be clear that I like potatoes when it comes to taste but don’t like having them because of the carbs that they come along with. I prefer sweet potatoes over potatoes any day all for their healthier quotient. Then why this recipe you ask? Because I married a man who loves potatoes (and basically every food that has sugar in it!).
So this Crispy Spicy Cajun Roasted Potatoes recipe was made because one fine day after months of not having potatoes in my house, Mr husband surprising asked for roasted potatoes. And let me tell you I can never say no to anything when he makes that puppy face and what followed next was this super duper easy Cajun Roasted Potatoes recipe!
This was such a hit at a recent girlie-gang get together that I thought that I have to share this spicy crispy cajun roasted potatoes recipe with you all!
How to select the right potatoes for roasted potatoes?
- Make sure you are selecting one which are firm and heavy and with very less ‘eyes’ or buds.
- Check for green sprouts on potatoes and avoid such potatoes as they have been over exposed to light and have released a toxic called solanin which is not good for consumption.
- When roasting go for high starch potatoes like Russets, new potatoes etc
- If you are going for recipes which need the potato skin to be left intact, go for medium skinned potatoes to easily make the outer skin crispy after roasting.
How to make the Homemade Cajun seasoning for Cajun roasted potatoes?
This Cajun roasted potatoes recipe heavily relies on the Cajun seasoning and while you can always go for store bought Cajun spice mix, I make mine at home. All you need to do is mix all the below ingredients and store it in an air tight jar :
2.5 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
The Cajun spice mix can be easily stored from 6 months to a year if stored properly and can be reused in so many recipes again and again.
How long should potatoes be roasted?
If you have pre-cooked the halved potatoes with skin (like this recipe of cajun roasted potatoes calls for), it should take you 40-45 minutes to roast them at 180 degrees celsius or 360 F. However the roasting time of potatoes can vary depending on how long you have precooked them, what kind of potatoes you are using, if you are roasting the potatoes with skin or without skin etc
This recipe goes so well with almost any kind of dip like mayonnaise, hot-sauce, sweet chilli sauce etc. Also you can always have this as a side dish with your choice of protein or main dish.
If you like this recipe, do let me know in the comments!
Like roasted potatoes?This spicy and crispy cajun roasted potatoes are so easy to make that you can add them to your gluten free and vegan party appetisers or side dish list right away!
- 250 gms small baby potatoes (or half pound or 13-14 small pieces)
- 1 tbsp cajun spice mix (cajun spice mix recipe below)
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2.5 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp white pepper powder
Mix all cajun spice ingredients in a bowl and store it in an air tight jar.
Wash the baby potatoes properly under running water and scrub them clean using your fingers to remove all dirt. Cut the baby potatoes in halves. Do not remove the skin of the potatoes.
In a pot, add water and add salt generously (so that potatoes can absorb the salt) and bring water to boil. Add the washed potatoes to the pot and let it cook till it's done (approximately 10-12 minutes). Make sure that they are not mushy or under-cooked.
Once the potatoes are soft/cooked, drain the water and let them cool.
Preheat oven at 180 degrees celsius / 360 F.
In a bowl mix olive oil, Cajun spice mix , crushed garlic, salt and pepper and pre-cooked potatoes. Make sure the spice mix covers the potatoes evenly.
In a rimmed baking sheet, transfer the spice coated pre-cooked potatoes and sprinkle the chopped coriander. Drizzle a little bit of oil on top. Bake it for 40-45 minutes at 180 degrees celsius/360 degrees F till they are crispy and golden brown on the outside. Half -way in between make sure to stir/ toss the potatoes on the other side to roast them evenly on all sides.
Once done take it out from oven, serve the Crispy Spicy Cajun Roasted Potatoes with your favourite dip!
- As this recipe calls out for potatoes with skin, make sure to clean the potatoes very well and scrub off all dirt.
- You can increase decrease the spice quotient of this dish by adjusting the quantity of the cayenne pepper in the Cajun spice mix.
- Infusing the oil with garlic, Cajun spice mix and keeping it aside for a while makes it more flavourful.
- The amount of time that you need to roast potatoes could vary based on the type of potatoes you use, how long you boiled it etc. Make sure to adjust the time of roasting accordingly until they are nice and crispy on the outside and tender inside.